For those of you that have not been following, for my learning project I decided to learn a variety of hairstyles to do on myself. I chose this skill to learn because (A) I knew that there were tons of online resources for it and (B) it was never something I could master on my own so decided to take advantage of having the opportunity to finally learn it through online resources. The hairstyles I learned were:
The most challenging piece I learned was the mohawk french braid, but it is also the one that I am most proud of. I think it is important when learning something new to set goals that are attainable but also challenging. If something does not challenge you it is hard to grow and move on to bigger, more complex tasks. The hairstyle that I have done to most since I initially learned it is the sock bun. I love the look of this hairstyle and I feel I have it mastered so I am really confident when I wear it. I think the style I will not continue in the future is the headband french braid. This is because I was least happy with the result, and I think that it is a tad outdated for how poor mine turnout.
Regardless of how successful each hairstyle turned out there are a few specific skills and pointers I have taken away for myself. I have been able to apply these to all hair styles no matter how simple or complex they may be:
- Brushing my hair and getting out all of the knots always helps
- If I am learning from tutorials:
- Videos are more beneficial than written directions for me
- I cannot rely on my hair to act & look the exact same as the person from the tutorial
- My hair is easier to work with a day after washing it rather than the day of; it is too soft the day of and often comes out loose and sloppy
- Having hair products and accesories such as the teasing powder I used for the mohawk braid and the donut I used for the sock bun are worth the purchase
Recently I read an article that talks about three specific apps students can turn to when they need to learn how to do something. I wish I had read this three months ago, because before this project I never thought that using things like Youtube and Wikihow to learn things would be so beneficial. As a teacher I look forward to encocuraging my students to turn to these and other resources when they are faced with problems or need to learn a new skill.